Dowel pins are a fastening device used for alignment or to hold parts together in an assembly or fixture.
When designing mechanical components, mechanical engineers typically use dowel holes as reference points to control positioning variations. If something other than a dowel pin is used for alignment, there can be significant variation in component positioning. They can also be used as locators so that a part can be removed and will retain its accurate location when replaced. Dowel pins allow for tighter positional tolerances than screws.
PIC Design specializes in high-quality, precision stainless steel dowel pins — which are machined to tight tolerances, as are the corresponding holes. We offer both inch & metric dowel pins.
PIC manufactures metric dowel pins in diameters of 1 mm - 12 mm and lengths of 3 mm - 50 mm, and inch dowel pins in diameters of 1/32” – 1/2" and lengths of 3/32” – 1 ½”. If standard dowel pin sizes aren’t appropriate for your project, PIC will happily manufacture your custom design.
The following specifications define our standard dowel pins sizes, fit specifications and materials options:
- Diameter: 1/32’’ to 1/2’’, 1 mm to 12 mm
- Length: 3/32’’ to 1 ½’’, 3 mm to 50 mm
- Fits - Slip, Press/Interference
- Slip Fit: The dowel pin has a smaller diameter so that it freely slips into the hole
- Press Fit: The dowel pin has a larger diameter and must be pressed into the hole
- Tolerance: Slip (+.0000/-.0002) and Press Fit (+.0002/-.0000)
- Standard Material: 303 Stainless Steel, 416 Stainless Steel - Hardened to 36-42Rc, Carbon Steel - Hardened to 60Rc
With a product like dowel pins, a diverse selection is necessary. Our expert staff is ready to meet a wide range of customer needs. Some applications are more demanding than others, requiring dowel pins that may be difficult to find elsewhere. With our expansive inventory and custom capabilities, PIC can keep you on target by helping you find the right product for your job.
We are experts in custom parts